Hugs and Kisses Stenciled Board


I'm excited about this XOXO (Hugs and Kisses)
board to put up with my Valentine decor
and it's super easy to make.

You'll need:
a pine board about 5 1/2" wide x 19" long
(at the hardware store it will be listed as 6" wide but is really shorter.
They are usually great about cutting it to your 19")
2 colors of craft acrylic paint
sand paper/wood stain

Sand any rough edges of your wood.
Paint your base color just on the front.
I'm just using your basic black.


After it dries, sand the front edges and the front itself to distress.
You can leave it just like this if you want. 
OR add some wood stain, just to give it more of an antiqued finish.
Normally, I would stencil the letters on, then sand everything and stain last,
but I really want this gold to shine.  So for this project,stain first then add letters.
Stain outside or in the garage, it can get smelly.
Take an old rag and rub on the wood stain.
I'll stain the back first, then sides and then front.
Leave your board on an old drop cloth or lean up against a wall to dry.
I usually let the wood dry overnight.


Get out your X and O stencil.
This is the same set I've used on all our holiday boards.


Tape down at least one side of your stencil.
I like using blue painters tape.
The key to stenciling is to not have very much paint on your brush.
This helps you avoid having the paint go under your stencil.
Dip your stencil brush in the paint and dab off some of the paint on a paper plate.
Tap your brush up and down on the stencil cut out.
Don't worry if it looks like it isn't that dark.
You can layer with a second coat, but it is darker than you think.
I'm using this metallic gold paint that I just love!
It's thicker than most gold paints and has a really pretty shine.


Got the X now the O. 
The O will be close to the X. 
Make sure you space out these 4 letters so they'll fit on the board. 
I wanted the O to be connected, so I just filled in the space with a brush on the top and bottom of that letter.
 

I love the black and gold combination.


Hugs and Kisses to you for Valentines Day!

Comments

  1. Great project! I love adding simple subtle touches like this for Valentine's Day. Thank you for sharing with us at Create Share Inspire. I hope to see you back this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alicia! This little XOXO board has been a great addition to my Valentines decor. We'll for sure see you back at Create/Share/Inspire!

      Delete
  2. So cute! I love the gold against the black. Perfect little Valentine decoration! Thanks for sharing at Friday Finds <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really excited to try some different colors for Valentines decor. I love the gold and black combo too! You're the best Aki!

      Delete

Post a Comment